Sep 3, 2012

Night before the All Valley

Daniel and Ali share a kiss, at this point their 3rd, in Daniel's car the night before the All Valley.

And Johnny invited Ali to the tournament?

Chapter 25, pages 109-110

"How do you like it?"

"This is yours?" she asked, excited. Daniel nodded and displayed the keys.

"Oh, it's wonderful. Beautiful. It's the neatest car I've ever seen."

"You want to drive?"

"Me? Wow!" She kissed him on the cheek and ran to the driver's seat. They both climbed in for a drive.

Much later, they pulled up in front of Ali's house. Ali combed her windblown hair and asked, unnecessarily, "How do I look?"

"Really beautiful." He put his arm up around her shoulder and wiped a smudge from her forehead, pleased with the calm of the moment. He was uncertain about the future - their future and his. After all, there was the tournament in the morning, but at that instant, he knew he was where he wanted to be.

"I'm in the karate tournament tomorrow."

"I know."

"So I guess you are already invited."

Ali nodded, and Daniel's hopes sank.

"But I haven't accepted," said Ali. "However, I have decided to accept the very next invitation I get," she said impishly, smiling.

"Will you be my guest?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

"I'll probably get killed in the first match."

Ali's eyes twinkled.

"So we'll leave early."

What a girl, he thought, reaching to hold her warmly. Softly, the kissed good-night.