Dec 31, 2011

Karate Kid literature







What is a guy to do when he has to work on New Year's Eve? Read his Karate Kid novelization by B. B. Hiller or course.

To be honest I didn't even know there were Karate Kid books out there until I went to Ebay a couple of weeks ago and did a search for Karate Kid memorabilia. Most of what was there I had seen in the past and wasn't interested. So then I decided to look at their book section to see if they had any Ed Parker kenpo books. Except I forgot to take Karate Kid out of the search box and lo and behold Karate Kid books came up, novelizations by B. B. Hiller for all four Karate Kid movies.

I was shocked, I never knew they existed. And lucky for me, seeing as I didn't have a lot of spare cash in pocket, the prices were quite low, $2.00 for Karate Kid 1. I thought I would take a chance on ordering the book. I could tell the book is designed for young readers, Jr. High range, and it is a "novelization" meaning it was written after the movie came out. However I thought perhaps the author would have had access to the script and thus the book would cover the full story and fill in some of the blanks that exist in the movie.

I had kind of forgotten that I had ordered the book until today when my wife asked, "Did you order something from Ebay?" Ha! I jumped for joy.

----------

So here I sit, about an hour until 2012 begins and I am reading this wonderful book during my down time at work. The book is definitely designed for Jr. High age kids from the 80's, I'm not sure if Jr. High kids these days would even read books like this. Probably not.

But I am having a lot of fun reading the book, it takes me back to when I was a kid that age and the Karate Kid came out. Oh to be that young again.

Anyway, there are 131 pages and I'm on page 73. I will check back in when I finish.

----------

Done. Awesome book! But I never had a doubt it wouldn't be.

There were a couple of revelations in the book that I will cover shortly. There was no "Sweep the Leg" though, that was shocking. And the original story ended in the parking lot outside the All Valley tournament. A lot of people knew that already probably, that has been talked about before.

Anyway, not a bad way to begin the new year.